“Estate 1896” Suites Hotel is hosted in Pyrgos village Santorini, in a building complex built in 1896. At that time the island of Santorini was still under the Ottoman rule. The building followed the traditional architectural design, where the ground floor hosted the canavas (the wine producing and storage areas), while the upper floor hosted the living areas for the family of the house. Building a house at this time was a very demanding and hand labor task, a work that demanded different local materials, especially stones, kissira (the light volcano stones) and pouri (the local red stone). Of prime importance in the architecture of the complex were the arches, the building block of every construction for centuries.
Traditional though it was, the complex had full contemporary facilities, such as full access to fresh water, elaborately stored in tanks in the basement of the building, access from two (parallel) roads and a piece of land within the complex, protected by walls, for producing daily consumed vegetables, such as tomatoes, fava, seed and grapes. These walls have been well preserved and are present today.
Pyrgos village Santorini, where “Estate 1896” is located, served as the capital of the island for many years and had a big Venetian castle, which still dominates the village today.
The “Estate 1896” complex hosted a distinguished merchant family of the island, along with laborers and farmers. The family had a big wine production facility in the canava section, in the (then) ground floor. The canava area, with 4.5 meters height, is fully preserved today and hosts the hotel’s luxury suites.
The complex was severely hit by the 1956 earthquake; as a result, the upper part of the house was destroyed and was subsequently removed. The lower part survived almost intact, due to the arches being the building block and restored a few years after.
Starting in 2010, full refurbishment of the “Estate 1896” complex was carried out. The refurbishment was headed by renowned Greek Architects office “4-19 Architects”. The refurbishment gave the complex all modern facilities and attributes, while preserving the historic building, its architecture and its prominence during the decades in the village of Pyrgos.